Monday, November 19, 2007

Study warns "last mile" congestion will bog down Internet connectivity

If you're mired in a broadband black hole and relegated to slow dial up or sluggish satellite connections, everyone else could be dealing with slow speeds in as little as three years.

A study by Nemertes Research warns unless another $42 billion to $55 billion is spent on U.S. telecommunications infrastructure above and beyond the $72 billion service providers are already planning to invest in the next three to five years, there will be a developing capacity problem.

“This groundbreaking analysis identifies a critical issue facing the Internet – that we must take the necessary steps to build out network capacity or potentially face Internet gridlock that could wreak havoc on Internet services,” said Larry Irving, co-chairman of the Internet Innovation Alliance. “It’s important to note that even if we make the investment necessary between now and 2010, we still might not be prepared for the next killer application or new internet-dependent business like Google or YouTube. The Nemertes study is evidence the exaflood is coming.”

The choke points will occur on the so-called last mile or so that connects businesses and residences to the fast fiber backbone of the Internet. Current in much of the U.S., the last mile infrastructure cannot support any type of broadband connections let alone the coming "exaflood."

1 comment:

tompoe said...

When I look at my tv, I see there are some channels that aren't filled with content. I click on my remote tuner, and instantly see channels fill with high definition display content. My tv is delivering content at very high speed broadband. When February 17, 2009 comes around, there will be even more "White space" on my tv, even though the number of channels will increase up to eight-fold per analog tv channel. Now, were the FCC to do the right thing, I could attach a box to my tv, and use those "White space" channels to enhance my wireless cloud around my home, relay content from my computer to the house next door, and participate in a community wireless mesh network that provides far greater broadband speeds than anything the telcos or cablecos are offering. All we need for a decentralized broadband infrastructure in this country is a reasonably priced wholesale Internet access option.

So, when reports like the one above come up, I feel my blood boil, and am reminded how disgusted I am with those who insist wireless is a commodity, not a necessity/infrastructure issue.
Happy Holidays,